Tracking Coherent Structures in a Tidal Flow

Whettall_e Whettall_e

Tracking Coherent Structures in a Tidal Flow

Hi,

I have a time series containing many images over looking flow in a tidal channel. I would like to track the coherent flow structures - i.e the larger scale flow structures such as eddies, surface boils, etc.

Is this possible in PIVlab?
I've tried but I think maybe the images are too noisy and messy. Is there a way to over come this?

Attached are some example images from the time series.

Thank you for your help.

Emma

Re: Tracking Coherent Structures in a Tidal Flow

Hi Emma,
I am pretty sure that PIVlab would give good results IF the time delay between the individual frames would be smaller.
Currently, there is to much change in the texture, so a cross-correlation can not give suitable results.

Try to increase the frame rate of the camera, and it should work!