PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

anaprrosa anaprrosa

PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hello! I am just starting to work with PIVLab and I noticed that the size of the box on the left doesn't quite work with my computer (I am assuming the problem is my computer because I've seen your screenshots and it looked perfect). I am attaching an image so you can see what I am talking about. Is there anything I can do or should I just work around it?

Thank you :)

screenshot

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hi,
I think the problem is that Macs have a different screen resolution. Please read your screen resolution using

get(0,'ScreenPixelsPerInch')

My resolution is 96. Try to set your resolution to 96 in Matlab too (see following line of code). If yours is already set to 96, then try different values and have a look at the effect in PIVlab, e.g.:

set(0,'ScreenPixelsPerInch',120)

The GUI elements should resize automatically when you change the resolution within Matlab.

Please report here if this has helped...

anaprrosa anaprrosa

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hi!
Unfortunately this changes the box size but it also changes the size of the letters so I have the same problem I was having before...

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hm, then I don't have a solution for you... I never worked with Matlab on a Mac...

You could however start "GUIDE" in Matlab, edit PIVlab_GUI.m and then resize the boxes according to your needs.

All the best,
William

Blue Blue

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

I have similar issues on OS X, too, but I've managed to figure things out by either using the tooltips for various things, or checking my colleagues install of PIVlab running under Windows 7!

Just in case it helps, I'm running OS X 10.10 on a 21" iMac, MATLAB R2014b, and the result of get(0,'ScreenPixelsPerInch') is 72.
Remember Wheaton's Law

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

But - according to your other post, it doesn't work under r2014b, right?

Blue Blue

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

It mostly works. I can start the PIVlab GUI, import images, draw a ROI, etc. The PIV analysis probably won't finish and there's the weird mask bug, but I can still open old MATLAB sessions and manipulate my data.
Remember Wheaton's Law
Lionel Lionel

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hi, I do have the same issue on my machine (Mac OSX 10.9, Matlab 2015a, PIV lab 1.4). Here are two screenshot with the screen settings 72 ppi and 96 ppi :

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11126997/PIVlab14_MacOSX_72ppi.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11126997/PIVlab14_MacOSX_96ppi.png

As pointed out by Blue, the issue is mostly a matter of aesthetic, and it makes the PIV lab experience a little less enjoyable. In my example, I can't select pass 4 though ...

Thank you so much for this great PIV software ! My students and me are really grateful.

PS : please ignore the comment I wrote (same content), I must have clicked the wrong button.

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

What happens if you set it to something much higher, e.g. 150 dpi? Because it looks like the fonts are getting relatively smaller comparing 72 and 96 bit.

Lionel Lionel

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Thank you for your answer, sorry for the delay.
Here is 150 dpi :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11126997/PIVlab14_MacOSX_150ppi.png

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hm, I have a Mac at work now, and I could try to install Matlab and reproduce the problem.

Lionel Lionel

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Please Let me know if you do have the same problem too!
On my end, I'll try to run it on my laptop. Maybe it's a question of screen resolution too (I am working on a 1920x1080 now, my laptop is 1280x800)
Blue Blue

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Enjoy the new computer! :)
Remember Wheaton's Law
Lionel Lionel

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hi William,

finally got the chance to test it on my laptop (screen resolution 1280x something): it looks absolutely fine!

The mystery remains ... but it's no big deal anyway.

Andrew Redfearn Andrew Redfearn

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Hello, did anyone figure this issue out?

I am using matlab 2016a on mac osx 10.12.1 and the display issue is still there.

I have tried changing the ScreenPixelsPerInch to 96 as suggested in this thread (it is currently 72), but i get a warning message saying that "The ScreenPixelsPerInch property became read-only in R2015b"

Its an annoying issue, that kinda takes from the functionality.

Thanks, Andrew
Austin Francis Austin Francis

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

I hope someone can help as I experience the display issues described here.  The main window and menu bar generally display fine, but the settings/options panel on the right does not.  As others have pointed out, it is not possible to change Matlab's DPI to correct the problem.  The settings/options are small with wrapped text and settings hidden behind elements of the panel.  There are some options which are totally inaccessible.  It doesn't matter if I'm using a 15" MacBook Pro or a 21.5" iMac.  This issue has existed through the last several years of Matlab (currently R2016b) and MacOS versions (currently Sierra).  I am using PIVlab v1.41.  I notice a lot of red error messages in Matlab's command window when using PIVlab.
Sophie Sophie

Re: PIVLab on Mac OS X - Visual differences

Has anyone solved this problem for Matlab 2016b. Would really appreciate being able to use all of the options provided by PIVlab but unfortunately I can't see them all.

Thanks,
Sophie