Memory usage PIVlab

Erik Groot Jebbink Erik Groot Jebbink

Memory usage PIVlab

Dear PIVlab users,

A while back I analyzed 35000 images in PIVlab on my pc. It took 2 days, but worked just fine (my system has 8GB ram). This week I'm trying to analyze 12000 images, however, Matlab runs out of memory after just 200 images. I can't figure out why this happens. Does anyone have a clue?

I applied a mask and a region of interest, just like my previous analysis.

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,

Erik Groot Jebbink

Re: Memory usage PIVlab

Hm, I don't really have an idea... Are you using much smaller interrogation areas or much larger images than before? I never ran out of memory yet (I was analyzing many sets of 10.000 image pairs each), and I was always using the command line version.

Erik Groot Jebbink Erik Groot Jebbink

Re: Memory usage PIVlab

Images are the same size, the ROI is similar and the interrogation window is exactly the same. Thanks for the tip about the commandline version, I will try that today.

I was just surprised that it worked with 35000 images (using the GUI), and that Matlab ran out of memory this time after aprox. 200 images.
Erik Groot Jebbink Erik Groot Jebbink

Re: Memory usage PIVlab

Dear William,

I tried your option regarding the command line version. I analyzed a data set of 15000 images without any problem (memory usage around 800mb).

Today I started a new analyses, concerning 35000 images. However, after only 300 images Matlab consumes 3000mb ram. The only difference with the prior analysis is the slidely larger ROI, however, the mask covers a larger area of the image. I'm surprised!

Re: Memory usage PIVlab

Hi,
that is really strange... I am just running an analysis with 720 images (I don't have more available right now...), and the memory usage is around 450 MB all the time, without any trend...
I don't have any idea how to help here however... :-(