Location of Vortex and circulation

omid omid

Location of Vortex and circulation

Hello Dear William

First of all, many thanks for your great work on PIVlab.

I want to ask one question. I'm doing some processing on my PIV experiment that I have a pair of vortices. as I attached. I want to calculate the diameter of each vortex and circulation of them. previously I used distance calculator but I think it should be the more precise way. do you have any idea? Also I used your circle series method for calculation of circulation but as you can see I have some vorticity which cant include in circles.

many thanks
omid

Re: Location of Vortex and circulation

Hi,
Vorticity is also high in shear layers, so maybe you could try the DCEV vortex locator? After that, you could calculate the weighted centroid of each DCEV blob to find the centre.

You could also plot a line across the DCEV blob to find the diameter.

Circulation should maybe be calculated using the area integral of vorticity.