Limitations

Toni Toni

Limitations

Hello,

I am trying to use this outstanding tool to analyse waterflow in a dam. My area of study is to be about 10cm^2 and my velocities are over 4 m/s and I am recording images at 400 fps. The results obtained with PIVlab are a mess. So, due to that, I was wondering if the problem is that I have chosen a small image for such a velocity. If PIVlab is able to recognize the particles movement, what could I do to improve the velocity field? Maybe some extra image preprocessing?

Thank you very much,

And congratulations for such a good work! Keep going!

Re: Limitations

Hi,
some example images would make it much easier to help!

roul roul

Re: Limitations

i think 400fps may not be enough for 4m/s.

u can check this by using the calibration data, that is, 1 px corresponds to how much distance in the real world. then check if ur interrogation area maybe 16x16 px can have the same particle in adjacent areas or not to correlate the seeding particles and calculate the velocity correctly. if the seeding particle is moving too fast at 4m/s it may be escaping from successive interrogation areas, thus giving messed up velocity data.

hope this helps.

regards,
roul