Finding Drag

piv piv

Finding Drag

Say I want to find the drag on the cylinder in the example from the pivlab tutorial.  what is the easiest way to do this in pivlab?  must i find momentum change upstream/downstream from the cylinder, or are there quicker tools to work with in pivlab?

Re: Finding Drag

Hi, as far as I know, it is not trivial to derive accurate drag estimates from PIV data. There are some papers on that topic. But PIVlab offers all the tools to derive (average) data from area integrals, etc.
If I would need to derive the forces on the cylinder in the example data, I would calculate the circulation of the vortices in the karman vortex street. Then you might be able to calculate the magnitude and direction of the drag/lift force. PIVlab has all the tools to derive the information you need.