Error while trying to run PIVlab

Johannes Johannes

Error while trying to run PIVlab

Hello!

I'm trying to follow the tutorial that you have posted to get a feel for PIVlab (it seems really good by the way). I stumpled in to a couple of problems though. To be honest I don't really know what the problem is but PIVlab doesn't work properly. Something seems to be off with the graphics. I updated the software for the graphic card and tried it again but the problems remained; when drawing a mask an entire area gets "masked" over the lowest line in the "y-direction" (see picture), and when I´m trying to analyze the frames it only goes to 33% (I can analyze one frame at a time though), and when I'm trying to do the vector validation it sort of freezes.

Maybe I've completely missunderstood something or mayve I've made a simple mistake (I'm kind of new to this field) but I'm adding some pictures. If you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Johannes

file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab.png

file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab2.png

file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab3.png

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Hi,
what Matlab and OS version are you using?

-- Dr. William Thielicke
http://William.Thielicke.org

Am 27. November 2014 03:30:01 MEZ, schrieb "Johannes [via PIVlab - Time-Resolved Digital Particle Image Velocimetry Tool for MATLAB]" <[hidden email]>:

>Hello!
>
>I'm trying to follow the tutorial that you have posted to get a feel
>for
>PIVlab (it seems really good by the way). I stumpled in to a couple of
>problems though. To be honest I don't really know what the problem is
>but
>PIVlab doesn't work properly. Something seems to be off with the
>graphics. I
>updated the software for the graphic card and tried it again but the
>problems remained; when drawing a mask an entire area gets "masked"
>over the
>lowest line in the "y-direction" (see picture), and when I´m trying to
>analyze the frames it only goes to 33% (I can analyze one frame at a
>time
>though), and when I'm trying to do the vector validation it sort of
>freezes.
>
>Maybe I've completely missunderstood something or mayve I've made a
>simple
>mistake (I'm kind of new to this field) but I'm adding some pictures.
>If you
>have any idea of what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. Any help
>would be
>greatly appreciated!
>
>Johannes
>
>file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab.png
>
>file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab2.png
>
>file:///C:/Users/Johannes%20Hall/Pictures/PIVlab3.png

>Velocimetry Tool for MATLAB, visit

Johannes Johannes

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

I am currently using MATLAB R2014b, I don't really know what you mean by OS but I'm using windows 7 if that's any help.

Thank you!

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

I heard that PIVlab is not compatible with r2014b. Mathworks changed the graphics handling quite a lot. I don't have access to this version. I contacted Mathworks to ask if I could get an extended trial period of 2014a to fix the issues with PIVlab, but they were not interested. I don't feel like I want to buy the latest Matlab release to fix this issue.
If you look at the command window, you should see an error message. You could of course just try to fix the incompatibility issues yourself.

Johannes Johannes

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Ok, I see. Thank you for your answer, I will try to install rmatlaba and see if it works better.
Blue Blue

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Hi guys,

I get similar errors in MATLAB R2014b under OS X 10.10 as well. If I draw a mask, it will always extend completely in the Y direction, and PIVlab seems to get stuck during PIV analysis, leaving MATLAB hanging.

Here's some screenshots of the mask error:
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/Blue5wirl/ScreenShot2014-12-01at20739pm_zpsc9eb6774.png
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp285/Blue5wirl/ScreenShot2014-12-01at20753pm_zps7d17aaa6.png

It seems a little churlish for Mathworks not to let you have an extended test period to fix PIVlab, as it's such a useful tool. Is there anyway that the users could chip in some money to help you get a copy, William?
Remember Wheaton's Law

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Blue wrote
Is there anyway that the users could chip in some money to help you get a copy, William?
Well that is actually a good idea... I will think about it. I think the costs are around 150 euros. I could imagine some sort of donations via Paypal that are refunded if the total amount isn't reached within three months (similar to crowdfunding).

Blue Blue

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Just let us know if you decide to go ahead with it, PIVlab has become rather central to my research, so I'd definitely be up for supporting the project.
Remember Wheaton's Law
Blue Blue

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

This masking error is now happening in previously created MATLAB sessions. Opening a file originally created over a year ago, I get the Mac error noise, and the previously fine masks are now fully extended in the vertical direction.

Any news on a crowd funding campaign, William?
Remember Wheaton's Law
Blue Blue

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Further weirdness, it appears that the MATLAB 2014b with PIVlab 1.35 combo running under OS X 10.10 won't let you draw boxes under Extractions -> Parameters from Area. You just get the Mac error beep and PIVlab becomes unresponsive. The only thing you can do is close the window and re-open PIVlab by re-running the PIVlab_GUI command.

I have a text file with the errors that come up in the MATLAB command window, should I post that here or is there an email address I should send it to?
Remember Wheaton's Law
Green Green

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

Hello, I am a really recent MATlab user with, for now, zero programming skills. That's why I love using the PIVlab_GUI, which I did for a few weeks using R2014a. Unfortunately, our lab changed their licenses and I am now using R2014b under MAC OSX 10.9.5 and faces the same problems as Blue stated:
- Weird mask area defined
- Unable to run through the different frames of a movie
- unable to draw an extraction area
Below is the error message I have when I try to run analysis through all the frames of a movie (analysis stops after first frame):
I am ready to participate to a Paypal funding if needed.
Thank you for your program and your help !

Error using matlab.graphics.chart.primitive.Quiver/set
There is no hittestarea property on the Quiver class.

Error in PIVlab_GUI>sliderdisp (line 544)
        set(q, 'ButtonDownFcn', @veclick, 'hittestarea', 'on');

Error in PIVlab_GUI>AnalyzeAll_Callback (line 1782)
            sliderdisp

Error in gui_mainfcn (line 95)
        feval(varargin{:});

Error in PIVlab_GUI (line 45)
    gui_mainfcn(gui_State, varargin{:});

Error in
@(hObject,eventdata)PIVlab_GUI('AnalyzeAll_Callback',hObject,eventdata,guidata(hObject))

Error while evaluating UIControl Callback

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

well thanks for your reports, but PIVlab is not compatible with R2014b. Currently, my time is pretty limited again, but when I can foresee that I'll have some time, I'll consider to get a copy of R2014b.

Cheers,
William

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

I added a link where you can make donations for R2014b compatibility here:

http://pivlab.blogspot.de/2015/01/matlab-r2014b-compatibility.html

Lets see how that works out...

Blue Blue

Re: Error while trying to run PIVlab

That's excellent, I'll try to get you some cash ASAP. In the mean time I've "fixed" the problem by installing R2013b on the Windows partition of my computer!
Remember Wheaton's Law