Analysis of Errors In PIVlab

Pratap Pratap

Analysis of Errors In PIVlab

This post was updated on .
Dear Mr. William,

I am writing this to ask rather a basic question, but it is for quenching my curiosity to know more and more about PIV.

1.  Please guide me on how the histograms of velocity magnitude, u and v will be useful to me in my analysis of error? Is there any litterature depicting this (which has used PIVlab)?

2.   How to find amount of error related to  correlation peak through the results obtained?

I am trying to refer the book by Raffel et al., but please guide me with perticular case of PIVlab.

Regards
Pratap

Re: Analysis of Errors In PIVlab

Hi,
velocity histograms can give you an impression of the amount of "peak-locking", but I don't know of a way of quantifying it through histogram data...

Pratap wrote
2.   How to find amount of error related to  correlation peak through the results obtained?
I think that there are many sources of error that relate to the correlation peak: The position of the peak itself may be incorrect. Or the subpixel estimation might be incorrect. Raffels book has a nice chapter on this. PIVlab is also just PIV, so the facts that are mentioned in Raffels book can be applied to PIVlab too.